Online Graduate Certificate in Applied Machine Learning
MSOE’s Graduate Certificate in Applied Machine Learning is an accelerated program that provides a firm foundation in data science, machine learning, deep learning and AI with an emphasis on applications. Born out of employer demand, the program blends practical skills with theoretical knowledge to prepare graduates as effective practitioners today and for continued learning tomorrow. Students can expect to lead technical machine learning projects and spearhead adoption across their organizations. The program rapidly develops practical skills in as little as nine months by building on students’ existing technical backgrounds.
The certificate program consists of two application-oriented courses that fuse concepts from statistics and computer science to design algorithms and software that process data, make predictions and aid decision making. Coverage of machine learning concepts is supported by practical, hands-on projects guided by experienced faculty. When you complete this program, you will be able to synthesize solutions in the artificial intelligence and machine learning domains and connect the knowledge you have gained throughout the program directly to your professional work.
- Offered 100% online
- Synchronous evening classes
- Complete in 9 months (two semesters) at a pace of one course per semester
- Build on prior knowledge to develop deep expertise at an accelerated pace
- Combine new knowledge in data science, machine learning and AI with your domain expertise
- Learn directly from student-oriented faculty who are experts in machine learning
- Apply credits earned toward the online Master of Science in Machine Learning program
Discover Your Next Step
MSOE and You: Better Together
Earn your master’s or certificate in machine learning online with MSOE. Complete the form to get a program details sheet for the program of your choosing—Master of Science in Machine Learning or Graduate Certificate in Applied Machine Learning—delivered to your inbox.
Build on Your Experience With a Machine Learning Graduate Certificate
This program is for experienced professionals and recent graduates interested in developing new skills and elevating their careers. Does this sound like you?
If you completed a bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as computer science or electrical engineering, have completed at least a one year of college-level programming course work, or have professional software development experience, this program may be a good fit for you. Learn more about the prerequisites for this program by visiting our admissions page.
My background is in circuits and controls systems, and I have a fair amount of programming experience. Throughout the courses, it was easy to apply my current technical knowledge while learning a whole new set of skills.
Graduate Certificate Learning Outcomes
The Applied Machine Learning Graduate Certificate program prepares you to:
- Collect and prepare data for analysis
- Create visualizations and perform statistical analyses to support data-driven decision making
- Communicate results and actionable insights to non-technical audiences
- Analyze technical problems to identify appropriate modeling techniques and develop solutions that meet requirements from resource-constrained embedded systems up to large-scale web services with millions of users
- Develop and evaluate new predictive models using cutting-edge approaches such as deep learning
- Learn problem-solving strategies and techniques for improving model prediction performance
- Learn how to apply machine learning to diverse data types such as spreadsheets, images, text, sensor readings and more
Grow Your Knowledge. Strengthen Your Career.
Connect theory to application with MSOE’s Graduate Certificate in Applied Machine Learning. You will take one course per semester, giving you the time and focus to master the concepts being taught by our expert faculty members. Through hands-on learning and in-depth projects, you will complete the program with high-value skills that employers need to drive business forward.
Pathway to a Master’s in Machine Learning
The online certificate program is an excellent pathway to a bright future working with machine learning and AI technologies, but it is also a stepping stone for the Master of Science in Machine Learning. The certificate to master’s pathway allows you to pursue your education step-by-step with breaks in between. Use what you learned from the certificate today, and return tomorrow to continue expanding your skill set.
Phone: (414) 277-7318
Dr. RJ Nowling is an assistant professor of computer science at MSOE. In collaboration with students and external research groups, RJ applies machine learning and data science to genomic data with the goal of extracting interpretable knowledge.
Prior to joining MSOE, RJ worked on applications of machine learning in digital ad targeting and incorporation of machine learning into web services at companies like Red Hat and AdRoll. He earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Notre Dame and a B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics from Eckerd College. RJ teaches courses in data science, machine learning and algorithms.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Machine Learning Graduate Certificate FAQs
What is a graduate certificate in AI and Machine Learning?
What will I learn in MSOE’s Applied Machine Learning Graduate Certificate Program?
What are the prerequisites for the Machine Learning Graduate Certificate?
- A technical bachelor's degree
- Programming experience with an object-oriented language—one year of college course work or equivalent minimum
- At least one year of differential and integral calculus is required. Multivariable calculus or linear algebra is preferred
What skills will I gain from the Machine Learning Graduate Certificate?
- Create visualizations and perform statistical analyses that effectively support data-driven decision making
- Communicate with non-technical audiences, sharing results and actionable insights
- Identify appropriate modeling techniques and develop solutions that meet requirements from resource-constrained embedded systems up to large-scale web services with millions of users
- Develop and evaluate new predictive models using deep learning and other cutting-edge approaches
- Improve model prediction performance with problem-solving strategies and techniques
- Apply machine learning to diverse data types